Sweet Potato Black Bean Burger
Smoky with a little bit of sweet, this sweet potato black bean burger recipe is easy to throw
together with minimal ingredients.
1 hr 10 mins
Course: Main Course Cuisine: American Servings: 6 servings Calories: 115kcal
Author: Nora Taylor
Sweet potato black bean patties
Sriracha mayo, optional
1 medium sweet potato, cooked
(1)15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed (1 1/2 cups)
1/4 cup chopped small red onion
1/2 cup rolled oats or quick oats
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2-1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup Vegan Mayo
1 tablespoon Sriracha hot sauce
tiny pinch garlic powder
6 burger buns
lettuce, tomato slices, red onion, avocado slices
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease a baking sheet with olive oil. Cut the sweet
potato in half lengthwise and place facedown on the pan. Bake for about 30 minutes, until
fork tender and cooked through. Remove from oven. Lower the oven to 375 degrees.
- When the sweet potatoes are cool enough to handle, peel off the skin and add the flesh to a
large bowl. Mash with a potato masher, add the black beans and slightly mash the beans into
the sweet potatoes, leaving some beans whole.
- To the bowl with the sweet potatoes and black beans, add the diced red onion, oats, cumin,
smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir well with a large
spoon until combined. Taste, add more salt if desired.
- Prepare a baking sheet for the burgers by either lightly greasing with oil or using parchment
paper. You can use the same pan you cooked the sweet potato on.
9/22/21, 1:10 PM Sweet Potato Black Bean Burger – Nora Cooks
- Store leftover patties in the refrigerator for 3-4 days, or freeze them. Reheat either in the
microwave or the stovetop until warm.
- If you don’t like onions or have picky kids, you can omit the red onions.
- Gluten Free: To ensure these are gluten free, use gluten free certified oats and a gluten free
Serving: 1pattie | Calories: 115kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g |
Sodium: 479mg | Potassium: 339mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 3238IU | Vitamin C: 3mg |
Calcium: 38mg | Iron: 2mg