ANTI-RACISM STUDY- the details
Dearest Church Family and Friends Near and Far,
After much study, prayer, and reflection, the study is primarily put together for us. Here are the details:
1. The movie, Just Mercy, is available for free through the month of June. I would like to highly recommend folks watching this movie prior to us starting the anti-racism study. If you can, please take the two hours to watch this movie. It is available for free on YouTube and Netflix and Prime Video on Amazon. If you are using YouTube, here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7MxXxFu6fI. Then click “rent/buy” and to rent it is free.
2. Our zoom study will begin on Wednesday, July 1st. There will be two options for our study on zoom. One at 10 am and the other at 6 pm. Pastor Terri Jo and I will be teaching the studies and facilitating the activities and conversation.
3. The first two weeks of the study are pretty intense. There will be videos to watch that you will need to rent on a digital platform. If you do not have the financial resources to do this, please let either pastor know. We do not want that to be a reason for you to not participate. On Tuesday, you will receive the handouts for the following day’s lesson and the recommended activities for the week.
4. Everyone will receive the first two weeks of the lessons. Then you will receive everything one week at a time.
5. We have organized the week with discussion, videos, articles, movies, and journaling. We would like to encourage you to grab a notebook to journal in throughout the study. There are recommended activities to do Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. Thursday’s recommendation will be to spend time journaling. Friday’s recommendation is to watch a movie something over the course of the weekend.
6. The study will begin on Wednesday, July 1 through Thursday, August 20. Please also consider watching Just Mercy before the class starts (it’s free until June 30, 2020). There will be other movies that we recommend throughout the study.
7. Our hope is this is the beginning of our conversations and learnings. As we have prepared the study, we have realized it takes on a journey of many more justice issues for our congregations. One of those issues being climate and creation justice, both of which are connected to food insecurity. And we are learning too. Neither one of us are experts in these areas…we are learning with you and excited to do so.
Again, our study will begin on Wednesday, July 1st at 10 am or 6 pm. It will be a study through zoom. Please click on the link below to let us know which class you will be able to join.
If you want to join this conversation, please let us know you will be joining and what your pressing questions and concerns are. Please click on this link to let us know when you will be joining the study: https://forms.gle/DivgUgoVMEBoh2wz8. For those of you who might not be able to join our study, I would like to encourage folks to read through the book “Waking Up White: And Finding Myself in the Story of Race” by Debby Irving. Click HERE for the Amazon link. Please let either one of us know if you have any questions! Looking forward to going on this journey together.
Love to you all,
Pastor Devon Andrews
Pastor Terri Jo Crego